A criminal defence lawyer’s top 5 tips for fighting drug charges
- If you have been charged with a drug offence, the most important thing you can do is exercise your right to silence. The police will likely ask you questions or request that you provide a statement that will assist them in their investigation. Because any information you give them can potentially be used against you, it is vital that you stay silent and immediately contact a lawyer so you can understand your rights and obligations in such a circumstance, and so you you can receive advice on how it would be best for you to proceed.
- Write down everything you can remember about the circumstances of your arrest. One of the strongest defences to a drug charge is that the police obtained evidence of your crime by committing an unlawful search. If you write down a detailed account of how and when the police searched you, your defence lawyer may be able to draw on some of this information to help build your defence.
- Attend fingerprinting and attend court as directed. If you have been arrested and released for a drug-related offence, you likely received documents from the police that direct you to go to a police station for fingerprinting and that indicate the time, place and date of your court appearance. Ensure you comply with any and all orders in these documents for a failure to do so may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest, as well as another criminal charge for failing to appear or for breaching the conditions of your release.
- Call one of our criminal defence lawyers immediately. Do not delay in choosing and hiring a criminal defence lawyer. The longer you wait to hire a lawyer, the longer it will take to address and resolve your criminal charges and to get your life back to normal. Depending on the nature of your charge, our experienced lawyers may even be able to quickly resolve your matter in a manner that will not only allow you to avoid having to run a trial, but that will allow you to avoid a criminal record completely.
- Enroll in addictions counselling and consider seeking out volunteering opportunities in the community. If you are able to show that you have taken proactive steps to address the issues that gave rise to your charges (for example, substance abuse), and that you are trying to right your wrongs, it may assist your criminal defence lawyer with securing a more favorable resolution to your charges.
About The Author
Ask A Question
We endeavor to respond to questions within 24 hours. If your matter is urgent, please call our office or submit a request for a free consultation.
Michael Oykhman is a very professional lawyer and the first time I spoke to him he asked about my situation and he gave me some very helpful advice and assistance and also told me his odds of winning this case. During the days I was in contact with micheal I could feel the level of professionalism of him and his team, he is able to respond back to you with any questions you have within 24 hours. In the end he was as successful in helping me win my case as he had initially promised me.If you are still struggling to find a lawyer, I highly recommend Michael Oykhman.
Please give yourself a favour and contact Mr. Michael Oykhman if you need any legal advice or if you are in a terrible situation. Even-tough, the odds are not in your favour, still they will go extra miles to help you out in bad situation and get you favourable outcome. Moreover, They will work on your file even after the business hours. I don’t have words to say thanks to Mr. Michael oykhman and Kiran Cheema who had worked on my file and get me out of trouble. I’m very grateful for your assistance and exceptional service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I am grateful that Ms. Moira McAvoy was my lawyer, and I remain thankful to her for everything. She made a successful resolution to my case possible. Ms. Moira McAvoy is a professional, trustworthy lawyer, and a compassionate person. She is an excellent listener and knowledgeable of the law. From the start, she was an excellent guide. I did not know anything about the legal system and court, and she outlined everything clearly in advance, so I could understand things. She never rushed me through anything. She spoke clearly, explained everything, considered what I said, and provided options and advice. She kept me up to date on new information, requirements, and deadlines. She was always positive and this helped so much.
Ryan Patmore and his team are simply the best. I was bullied by CPS in 2020 and it landed me with three separate charges, assault, refusal to blow and DUI, which all went down as I was parked at a friends. After some research and a conversation with Michael, he directed me towards Ryan and at the time I didn’t know that would be a game changer in my favour! He is honest, transparent, helpful and a brilliant mind. He successfully appealed my license suspension with ATSB and then proceeded to get the crown to dismiss all my charges before trial. I never had to step foot inside a courtroom. If you are in need of a criminal defence lawyer, don’t think twice, get in touch with this firm and ask for Ryan Patmore! The guy is an absolute saviour.
Joseph Beller, from the very beginning when I first contacted and then retained Joseph as my representative I felt I was in good hands. When I emailed him with a question. I got a prompt response. We communicated often on the phone as needed. Joseph kept me informed as to the process. He made sure I knew all the potential results so I knew and could plan for the different outcomes. I know this his his job. But appreciate his professionalism and also his ability to not make me feel any extra stress. Well done.