A criminal defence lawyer’s top 5 tips for dealing with a violent offence charge
- If you have been charged with a violent offence it is vital that you stay away from the complainant, even if they ask to see you again. When you are charged and released for a violent offence, you are typically released with bail conditions that may require you to refrain from contacting the victim of your crime. If you have been charged with domestic assault, you may be bound by the conditions of an emergency protection order that will do the same. Breaching these conditions and intentionally coming into contact with the victim is a criminal offence in and of itself, and one that is not taken lightly by the authorities. If you breach a no contact order, or any other order stipulated in your bail conditions, you may be arrested and placed in custody.
- Make an application to change unreasonable bail conditions. Sometimes the bail conditions that you are given after being charged with a violent offence are highly restrictive and may significantly impact your life. For example, you might be prevented from entering your own home or seeing your kids. However, if you immediately contact one of our criminal defence lawyers, we can use our skill and familiarity with these proceedings to change the conditions of your bail so that you can live your life as normally as possible while waiting for your matter to be resolved.
- Do not speak to the police before seeking advice from a criminal defence lawyer. It may be the case that while investigating you for an offence, or after you have been arrested for an offence, the police will ask you questions or ask you to provide a statement. Because these statements can be used against you, do not say anything to the police until you have had the opportunity to seek advice from a criminal defence lawyer.
- Immediately enroll in anger management counselling. It is likely that the Crown Prosecutor will look upon your case more favourably if you can show that you are working on the personal issues that may have led you to commit the offence in the first place. Being able to show that, immediately following your charges, you enrolled in counselling to help manage your anger may assist your defence lawyer in resolving your matter favourably.
- Follow all of the orders outlined in the documents given to you by the police after your arrest. After being arrested and upon your release, the police likely gave you documents that direct you to attend a police station for fingerprinting, that direct you to attend court on a specific date, place, and time, and that outline the conditions that you are expected to follow upon your release. It is imperative that you comply with all the orders and conditions spelled out in those documents. A failure to do so may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. What is more, you may be charged with an additional criminal offence of breaching your conditions or failing to appear in court as required.
About The Author
Ask A Question
We endeavor to respond to questions within 24 hours. If your matter is urgent, please call our office or submit a request for a free consultation.
Michael Oykhman is a very professional lawyer and the first time I spoke to him he asked about my situation and he gave me some very helpful advice and assistance and also told me his odds of winning this case. During the days I was in contact with micheal I could feel the level of professionalism of him and his team, he is able to respond back to you with any questions you have within 24 hours. In the end he was as successful in helping me win my case as he had initially promised me.If you are still struggling to find a lawyer, I highly recommend Michael Oykhman.
Please give yourself a favour and contact Mr. Michael Oykhman if you need any legal advice or if you are in a terrible situation. Even-tough, the odds are not in your favour, still they will go extra miles to help you out in bad situation and get you favourable outcome. Moreover, They will work on your file even after the business hours. I don’t have words to say thanks to Mr. Michael oykhman and Kiran Cheema who had worked on my file and get me out of trouble. I’m very grateful for your assistance and exceptional service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I am grateful that Ms. Moira McAvoy was my lawyer, and I remain thankful to her for everything. She made a successful resolution to my case possible. Ms. Moira McAvoy is a professional, trustworthy lawyer, and a compassionate person. She is an excellent listener and knowledgeable of the law. From the start, she was an excellent guide. I did not know anything about the legal system and court, and she outlined everything clearly in advance, so I could understand things. She never rushed me through anything. She spoke clearly, explained everything, considered what I said, and provided options and advice. She kept me up to date on new information, requirements, and deadlines. She was always positive and this helped so much.
Ryan Patmore and his team are simply the best. I was bullied by CPS in 2020 and it landed me with three separate charges, assault, refusal to blow and DUI, which all went down as I was parked at a friends. After some research and a conversation with Michael, he directed me towards Ryan and at the time I didn’t know that would be a game changer in my favour! He is honest, transparent, helpful and a brilliant mind. He successfully appealed my license suspension with ATSB and then proceeded to get the crown to dismiss all my charges before trial. I never had to step foot inside a courtroom. If you are in need of a criminal defence lawyer, don’t think twice, get in touch with this firm and ask for Ryan Patmore! The guy is an absolute saviour.
Joseph Beller, from the very beginning when I first contacted and then retained Joseph as my representative I felt I was in good hands. When I emailed him with a question. I got a prompt response. We communicated often on the phone as needed. Joseph kept me informed as to the process. He made sure I knew all the potential results so I knew and could plan for the different outcomes. I know this his his job. But appreciate his professionalism and also his ability to not make me feel any extra stress. Well done.