I am the senior criminal defence lawyer at Savage Oykhman Law (an association of independent law practices). Together with Oykhman Criminal Defence law, we are a Full Service Criminal Defence Law Office, with central offices in Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto.
I have dedicated the last 25 of my 30 years practicing law to Criminal Law exclusively. In that time, I have personally successfully defended thousands of people across Alberta and Saskatchewan. Few lawyers have had the ability and honour to help such a wide range of people in need, and I’m proud to be among them. I apply this accumulated wealth of successful experience to every case and every client.
In my career, I have appeared at all levels of Court in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and at the Supreme Court of Canada. The long list of reported cases in which I have appeared have helped shape the developing law surrounding the “right to counsel” and “search and seizure” in Alberta and perhaps across Canada.
Beyond the courtroom, I constantly strive to remain at the forefront of new legal developments in criminal law. To that end, I have presented at (or attended) numerous legal conferences, including the following;
- Co-Chair, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “Send Lawyers, Guns And Money: Hot Topics For Stone Cold Lawyers Part 2” (Calgary), May 2015
- Co-Chair and Presenter, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “Sex, Drugs and Alcohol: Hot Topics For Stone Cold Lawyers” (Calgary), June 2014
- Co-Chair and Presenter, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Seminar, “(Don’t) Just Tell Me What I Want To Hear: Police Interrogation and False Confessions” (Calgary), June 2013,
- Presenter, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Blood Sweat and Tears” (Edmonton), March 2013
- Co-Chair, Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving – The Changing Landscape” (Calgary), September 2012 –Papers: * “Care and Control – The Twilight Zone of Impaired Driving Law”
- Presenter, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Law and Practice Update” (Edmonton), November 2011
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Criminal Law Boot Camp” (Calgary), May 2010
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving” (Calgary and Edmonton), June 2006
- Presenter and Panelist, Legal Education Society of Alberta, “Impaired Driving” (Calgary and Edmonton), March 2003
- Instructor, Legal Education Society of Alberta Bar Admission Course, Various Criminal Law Topics, 2000 – 2005
- Participant, Calgary Police Service Recruit Class Mock Trial Program, 2000 – 2005
- Informal Advisor on Impaired Driving and Annual Seminar Presenter, Student Legal Assistance, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 2000 – present
- Occasional Coach and Volunteer Judge, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, Moot Court and Mock Trial Program, 1995 – 2000
- Part-time Instructor, Mount Royal College Department of Criminology, Adult Learning Programs, Drumheller and Calgary, 1993 – 1995, 1997
- Author, “Systemic Discrimination and Section 15 of the Charter”, Vol. 50:1 Saskatchewan Law Review (1985 – 1986)
- Student Editor-in-Chief, Saskatchewan Law Review, 1985 – 1986
Perhaps most notably, I am currently the president of the Criminal Defence Lawyer’s Association (Calgary), and have been so since 2013. In my capacity as president I am fortunate to have access to—and some influence over—the inner workings of the court system and processes, as well as being able to help shape the latest plans and policies that affect accused persons across the whole province. My unique position means I am frequently called upon by print, radio, and TV media to comment on headlines and issues surrounding criminal law. A recent cross-section of such commentary is as follows:
I am not just a lawyer. I am also passionate about the broader community, actively participating in the arts, sports, and other philanthropic endeavors. But above all, my primary calling and responsibility is to my clients. I see my role as not only giving people a second chance, but also protecting them from the oppressive power of the state. I pride myself in zealously defending my client’s constitutionally protected rights to the fullest, no matter how difficult the case. In every case, my primary focus is on finding and employing every angle and every available defence. I can’t promise the best bedside manner, but I can promise I will vigorously defend your case to the fullest extent of the law.
Contact me for a Free Consultation and judge for yourself.