Tel: (403) 266-4440 Cell: (403) 630-8835
Fax:(403) 234-0337 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Michael Oykhman
I am a senior lawyer at Savage Oykhman Law (an association of independent practices) and am the Founder of Oykhman Criminal Defence, a Full Service Criminal Law firm with central law offices in Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. My professional experience consists of countless court appearances, and thousands of successful defences and satisfied clients. Over the last 10 years, I have worked to build a law office where all the lawyers share our collective experience, resources, and passion to help people. Our team approach to legal representation is client–rather than only law–centered. We look for opportunities to add value to our clients through strategic thinking and creative solutions.
Not every case is won through trial. In fact, the best results are often achieved through alternative resolution strategies, so that the matter never gets to trial. Although I am trained as a trial lawyer, I prefer to be viewed as a problem solver. My goal is to provide each and every client with the top quality of care and the best result possible.
In my professional legal career I have successfully defended hundreds upon hundreds of criminal cases. I have appeared at all levels of court in Alberta, including at the Supreme Court of Canada. I am also currently the Advising Lawyer for Student Legal Assistance, a non-profit organization of law students at the University of Calgary dedicated to providing legal services and access to justice to low-income individuals.
As a Criminal Defence Lawyer I am always striving to learn more about my field. The following are the most recent educational and informational conferences in which I have either participated or presented, and the organizations I belong to:
- University of Calgary Law School Trial Advocacy Instructor – 2017
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association Education Director – 2016
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association – 2015 Spring Seminar
- Police Interrogation and Evidence Gathering Techniques
- Student Legal Assistance Criminal Law Boot Camp (Annual Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Impaired Driving Conference (Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Charter Notice Seminar (Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Trial Advocacy Seminar (Annual Presenter)
- Student Legal Assistance Domestic Violence Defence (Presenter)
- Court Trial Confirmation Sentencing Presentation (Presenter)
- Legal Education Society of Alberta Impaired Driving Conference (Presenter)
- Intoxilyzer Breath Alcohol Testing Conference
- Criminal Trial Lawyers Association Conference
- Active Member of Calgary Bar Association
- Active Member of the Law Society of Alberta
I obtained a Bachelor of Law Degree from the University of Calgary in 2006 with the following distinctions:
- Crown Association Prize (top grade in first year criminal law)
- Gale Cup Moot Competition finalist (first ever finalist finish for UofC)
I obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology, with a minor in English from the University of Calgary in 2003. Along the way, I received the following distinctions:
- Suncor Energy Scholarship
- Louise McKinney Scholarship
- Jason Lang Scholarship
Our office currently has a team of experienced and well known criminal defence lawyers. We have a particularly strong focus on Impaired Driving, Drug Offences, property offence, and Domestic Violence. Each of us has unique strengths that we all share. Beyond my legal skills and knowledge, my psychology background in particular allows me to better understand my clients and their needs, and to better present their interests to the Crown and the Courts.
Contact me for a Free Consultation and judge for yourself.