Failing to Stop at An Accident Offence in Calgary
In order to be found guilty of this offence, it must be proven that:
- You drove or had the care or control of a motor vehicle
- That vehicle was involved in an accident with another person, another vehicle, or livestock
- You failed to stop your vehicle
- You did not give your name and address
- You did not offer help to anyone who was injured and needed it
- You failed to stop because you did not want to get in legal trouble
It is important to know that the Crown does not need to prove that you were the one who caused the collision or otherwise at fault.
Frequently, the prosecution will apply to have you kept in custody when you are charged with this crime. The circumstances of this charge may suggest that you do not live up to your legal obligations.
Defending Failing to Stop at Scene of an Accident Charge
This charge is frequently laid alongside other allegations related to your driving, i.e. impaired driving, dangerous driving, or driving while disqualified. They can also involve significant property damage or personal injury. As a result, this could generate a great deal of evidence against you – witness statements, traffic collision reports, medical records of people injured in the collision, and vehicle experts.
Combing through all the evidence for weaknesses in the Crown’s case and other potential defences takes a skilled eye. Contact Michael Oykhman Criminal Defence today, we can help!
The consequences of a conviction are serious. You can go to jail for up to 5 years. In addition, the Province of Alberta will automatically suspend your license for one year from the date you are found guilty. On top of that, a Judge can give you an additional driving suspension of up to 3 years!
If your strategy focuses on damage control, let us help. In appropriate cases, we can negotiate a plea to a lesser offence that gets your license back as soon as possible.
- What are the best defences to a dangerous driving charge?
- How can I get my dangerous driving charges dropped?
- What is driving while disqualified?
- What are the best defences to driving while disqualified charge?