Failing to Stop for Police Offences in Calgary
This charge has the following components:
- Failing to stop your motor vehicle as soon as is reasonable
- While being pursued by a police officer in a motor vehicle
- For the purpose of evading the police
- With no reasonable excuse
In addition, the prosecution must show that you knew you were being pursued by a police officer.
The police and prosecution often ask the judge to keep people who are accused of this crime in custody. Fleeing from the police suggests that they have disregard for the law and may not come to court as required.
Defending Failing to Stop for Police Charge
We focus our investigation on the following areas:
- Did the police deploy all possible methods of getting your attention?
- Did the police officers who claim you fled from them make detailed and accurate notes of your driving?
- Did the police video record your driving pattern? Is it consistent with their reports?
- Do you have a reasonable excuse for not stopping the vehicle (e.g. medical emergency)?
- Were there circumstances that prevented you from noticing the police were trying to get you to stop (weather conditions, hearing problems, etc.)?
Sentences for this offence include the possibility of a license suspension for up to three years, jail of up to 5 years, and up to 3 years of probation. In addition, the province of Alberta will automatically suspend your driving privileges for a year from the day you are found guilty.
We will mount the best defence for you, whether that means fighting the allegation in a trial, negotiating a less serious charge that will get your license back as soon as possible, or any other possible options.
- What are the best defences to a dangerous driving charge?
- How can I get my dangerous driving charges dropped?
- What is driving while disqualified?
- What are the best defences to driving while disqualified charge?
Get A Free Consultation
Receive a free consultation to discuss your case.
We value your privacy, all information is kept strictly confidential.