Pre-Charge Legal Advice
If you have been involved in illegal activity or the police have identified you as a suspect in a crime, you should not wait until you are arrested to speak to a lawyer. Rather, if you have reason to believe that you are a suspect in a crime, you should contact one of our criminal defence lawyers immediately. During a criminal investigation, it is often in the pre-charge phase that the police will gather the most incriminating evidence against an accused. Without knowing what the police may be looking for, or what you should and should not say to the authorities, you are putting yourself at risk of providing the police with the very information they need to charge you with an offence.
If you want to do everything you can to prevent charges being laid against you and to prevent your potential arrest and detention, it is vital that during this critical phase you seek pre-charge legal advice. Contact our office and one of our criminal defence lawyers will meet with you and ensure that you leave our office armed with a full understanding of what your rights and obligations are when interacting with the police, and what to expect if you become the subject of a criminal investigation.
What We Do For You When We Offer Pre-Charge Legal Advice:
For a flat rate, we offer a pre-charge legal advice package that includes:
- A comprehensive and careful review of your current situation;
- A careful review of all correspondences you have had with the authorities to date;
- A careful review of all correspondences you have had with potential witnesses or complainants in the case;
- A detailed explanation of the jeopardy you may face and the consequences of being charged or convicted of the offence;
- Assistance with preparing for police interviews/interrogations
- drafting correspondences to any necessary authorities or investigators;
- Negotiations with authorities to resolve the matter without criminal charges;
- Detailed legal advice about your options and what to do next;
- Standby legal advice as the situation unfolds;
- Standby assistance in interacting with the police; and,
- Assistance with bail in the event that you are arrested.
If our pre-charge legal advice allows you to avoid criminal charges, it is unquestionably the best money you could spend on a lawyer. If criminal charges are inevitable, the fee that you pay for our pre-charge advice and assistance will be credited towards our general retainer fee for defending your case.
Do I Need Pre-Charge Legal Advice Even if I Wasn’t the One Who Commits a Crime?
Unfortunately, it often happens that individuals who did not commit a crime become key suspects in criminal investigations. This can happen in a variety of ways, sometimes simply because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, or because you were actually present while someone you were affiliated with committed a crime. Even if you personally did nothing wrong, pre-charge legal advice can play an important role in preserving your innocence. Without a clear understanding of what the police are looking for, and without understanding what your rights and obligations are when being investigated by the police, it is always possible that you might say or do something that can lead to charges being laid against you, even if you are innocent.
If you are charged and later found not guilty of the crime, the mere fact that you have been charged with an offence can still negatively impact your life and lead to significant social stigma or the loss of your job. With our guidance, you will have the information that you need to help you protect yourself during a criminal investigation, and we will do everything we can to insulate you from the incredibly stressful and consuming experience of being charged with a criminal offence.
If you are interested in seeking out pre-charge legal advice, contact our office immediately so we can schedule a consultation at the earliest opportunity.