Tel: (250) 920-0144
Fax: (250) 920-0177 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a driven and compassionate advocate, operating in both English and Spanish. My practice is based in Victoria, B.C. but I have clients in Colwood, Duncan and even as far away as Powell River. I practice in the areas of Criminal Defence, Family Law, and Child Protection Law. I am a registered lawyer with the Attorney General of British Columbia, which means that I belong to a small group of accredited lawyers who are authorized to notarize documents for international use, such as for example International Powers of Attorney, Authentication of Documents, which include personal as well as Corporate Documents.
I am a confident and experienced litigator. However, my success isn’t limited to the courtroom. Through mediation, negotiation, and other alternative dispute resolution methods, I frequently obtain positive resolutions for my client that are cheaper and more efficient than going to trial.
Table of Contents
Approach to Advocacy
In my practice, I navigate three emotionally charged areas of the law: criminal, family, and child protection. Because of this, I operate with a client-first mentality. I know the stress felt by those interacting with these areas of the law, and I believe it is my job to advocate effectively and efficiently to alleviate this burden.
Whichever area of law your needs fall under, I will represent you thoroughly and always with your best interest in mind. Collaboration is a big part of my practice, and by retaining any lawyer within our organization, you will benefit from our collective experience. We will work together to ensure the best possible outcome for you.
Education, Accomplishments and Career Path
I graduated from the University of Victoria Faculty of Law in 2008. In university, I was honoured with two prestigious awards:
- The Anne Roberts Humanitarian Award: An award is made to a Faculty of Law student who is in their second or subsequent year of studies. The award recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution of his or her time and effort in lending support and assistance to the well being of individuals within the Law School, of the Law School as a whole and or of people within the community at large; and
- The Victoria Bar Association and Founders Committee Graduation Award: The award is given to a graduating student who is articling in Victoria, and who has made an outstanding contribution to the educational experience of his or her fellow students, and has demonstrated a commitment to public service and relations with the profession during their time at the Faculty of Law. Nomination of the student recipient will be made by the Faculty of Law.
I also worked in the Dean’s Advisory Committee on Ethnicity and Culture at the University of Victoria. Through this group, I helped delineate potential issues and provide recommendations to the Faculty of Law on how to deal with those issues.
I was also a member of the Legal Mooting Client Counselling Team for the University of Victoria.
Although my law school days are far behind me now, I have never lost my commitment to public service and to positive relations with everyone I work with.
In my community time, throughout the years, I have also held the following positions:
- Settlement Counsellor at the Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre, Victoria, B.C.
- Vice-President of the Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Board of Directors, Victoria, B.C.
- President of the Hispanic American Association, Victoria, B.C.
- Creator and Lead Advisor for the Legal Clinic at the Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre
- Member of the International and Human Rights Law Association (Human Right Defenders)
- Member and Translator for the International Election Observer group “CommonBorders”
- Member of the People and Police Project Seminars
- Member of the Athletic Coaching Staff at Bays United (Local Soccer Club)
- Head Coach and Manager of F.C. Futbolistas (Select Team in Victoria)
- Guest Speaker at the University of Victoria and Camosun College on “Diversity in the Legal Profession” Seminars
After graduation, I articled at Brooks and Marshall, a criminal defence firm in Victoria. I then worked at the Office of the Ombudsperson of British Columbia as the Legal Researcher and Legal Assistant to the Manager of Teams, where I gained valuable experience managing complaints against public administrative agencies. From there, I worked as an adjudicator and then got promoted to Team Leader at the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles (now called Road Safety BC) at the Ministry of the Attorney General.
The work I did at the Ministry of the Attorney General in particular has given me thorough insight into how to effectively challenge
- Driving Record prohibitions,
- Immediate Roadside Prohibitions,
- Vehicle Impoundments and
- ICBC penalties.
Each step in my career has given me additional insight and unique experience I have leveraged to the benefit of my clients.
In 2011, I started my own legal practice. My focus was primarily on criminal defence, until I decided to expand my practice into two other areas: family law and child removal cases. Expanding my practice has given me the opportunity to be in court almost daily all over Vancouver Island, and has made me a confident and experienced courtroom litigator.
Today, I am a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, the Trial Lawyers of British Columbia Association, the Lawyer Referral Service Association and the Victoria Bar Association.
I am also an Instructor at the Law Centre legal clinic with the University of Victoria, a Roster Family Lawyer for the Justice Access Centre in Victoria (an agency that provides Legal Advice and help on family matters) and a member of the BIPOC Lawyers Association.
How I can help
When you are charged with a criminal matter, the repercussions on your life can be devastating. This is why I take a pragmatic and goal-oriented approach to representation and focus on doing what’s best for my client. By being frank, realistic, and maintaining an open line of communication, my clients know what to expect. I tailor a plan of action for each individual case, and keep my clients informed every step of the way.
Whether you are on Legal Aid or are a private client, my mission to represent you to the best of my ability is unwavering and equal for all my clients.
As a criminal defence lawyer, I have represented clients facing a vast array of charges, including:
- Attempted Murder,
- Aggravated Assault,
- Assault with a Weapon,
- Sexual Assault,
- Sexual Interference,
- Child Porn Cases,
- Driving while Impaired or over the Legal Limit,
- Driving while Prohibited or Unlicensed,
- Uttering Threats,
- Possession of Drugs for the Purpose of Trafficking,
- Offences related to possession or use of guns,
- Unlawful confinement (kidnapping), and
- Escape from Prison.
Although no one can guarantee the outcome of a trial, I am meticulous in my preparations and in my presentations to the court, in order to have the greatest odds at obtaining a positive outcome for my client.
I have also successfully challenged the applicability of Mandatory Minimums in cases where my clients faced jail.
Without a doubt, family law is emotionally charged. When a relationship breaks down, we are left to deal with not only the emotional ramifications but also the legal issues. This is where I come in. I aim to minimize the amount of angst that my clients face with their family issues. I am well connected with resources for my clients and am experienced and compassionate when it comes to navigating this complicated area of law.
Throughout the years, I have learned to resolve family matters through collaborative work. This may lead to mediations, a Separation Agreement or Consent Orders. I can help you negotiate, draft and finalize these documents so that you can focus on your family and yourself.
In child protection matters, I routinely represent clients in mediations, Family Case and Management Conferences and Hearings. I have represented clients facing child-related accusations and have conducted trials for clients facing Ministry of Children and Family child removals. My approach in child removal cases is to work closely with the Ministry of Children and Family Development and the social workers while strongly advocating for my client, in order to reach the best possible outcome for the family. Because of the nature of these cases, I often end up representing my clients in criminal proceedings that some times arise. My knowledge in both areas of the law helps me have a clear sense as to what we should and what we should not do as one step in one case will invariably affect the other – the key is to make sure that you manage both appropriately and competently.
Whether your case fall under the area of criminal defence, family, or child protection law, I can help. With all three skillsets, I am also uniquely qualified to handle complex domestic violence matters involving both Criminal and Family law matter. No matter what your situation, I can help. I look forward to the opportunity to meet you to discuss your individualized needs. Contact me today for a free consultation.